Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Again...

So there I was, innocently coming out of the gym in Claremont going to pay for my parking and I felt a presence behind me. As I turned around there he was...again...ready to strike. Now before you all jump up and phone me to check if I'm alright, it was not a mugging.

Let me go back a couple of months to explain the title of this post. There seems to be this thing that some young people do here in the southern suburbs of Cape Town. They approach you at the petrol garage or parking lot or the like and say, "sorry to worry you dude, do you think you can help me...my car has just run out of petrol about 1km from here, please could you spot me a couple of rand to get petrol so that I can get home to ..." This has now happened to me twice before tonight grrrr.... My response, pull the other one, it has bells.

Tonight when I was paying for my parking I had my iPod playing in my ears and I noticed this guy and his girlfriend walked past me. I thought I had seen him before but I couldn't place him. I just thought he was hanging out in a very strange place since the Pick n Pay was already closed along with all the other shops in the centre, and he certainly looked like he was dressed to go to Tiger Tiger and not Virgin Active. When I truned around to go to my car he was in my face...the penny dropped. All I did was to take my earphone out of my ear just enough to say "Sorry dude, I've heard your story before." When I walked away I got angry and wanted to go back and have a "chat". I can't stand freeloading con-artists.

So what do I do, how do I respond. I deal with homeless people pretty much everyday of my life and they have their stories, I can seemingly deal with their crap. These guys, who seem to have what they need by the looks of their wardrobe, well I just don't know. All I can say is beware!

No comments: